It's National Change a Pet's Life Day today! Not sure how to get started? Here are somethings you can do to help shelter pets in your area:
1. Adopt a pet. Did you know that adopting one pet actually saves two lives? When you take home a pet it opens a space for the shelter to save another life.
2. Donate. A little bit of money can go a long way to help shelter pets. Many shelters also have wish lists with things they could use. Some items on wishlists are things you already have. Many shelters need old towels or blankets. What about that cat bed that your cat refuses to use?
3. Volunteer. Volunteers make a huge difference for shelter pets. Volunteering can include basic animal care, walking dogs, and petting cats, but did you know that shelters can use other types a volunteers? Do you have any special skills? Perhaps you are a handyman or in IT. Shelter's can often use the specialized skills you posses.
4. Foster. Fostering an animal can make a huge difference in making an animal adoptable. Shelters can be very stressful. Having a temporary home to recover or to grow big enough to be adopted can make a huge difference.
5. Spread the word. This can be as easy as sharing a Facebook post from your local shelter or even sharing with your friends how much your pet has made a difference in your life.
From big things to small things, everyone can make a difference in a pet's life!